We recently pulled the head on our 235 for the 61 Apache and took it to a local machine shop with a good reputation. They checked it out, cleaned and brought everything to spec saying that it all looked good. We re-installed the head with a new gasket and new manifold gasket, and torqued the head bolts to spec. She started right up, and runs very well, but after warmup, smokes like crazy. I put a little marvel mystery oil on top of the pistons while the head was off since this truck has been sitting 8+ years in a field. I thought maybe it would take a bit to burn this off but I took it out and drove around 8-10 miles the other day, keeping the engine running for about an hour - still clouds of bluish smoke. Compression from front to back is 134, 136, 35, 150, 135, 155. Funny thin is, compression was low on numbers 4 and 6 before removing the head and is now low on number 3 and high on numbers 4 and 6. Two other notes: We've not yet adjusted the valves, and I noticed a bit of oil running down the manifold side of the engine opposite the number 3 plug (which has compression of 35). The truck seems to run and idle great except for the smoke. My son and I have never gone this deep into a vehicle before and really need some of your expert advice on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. A couple of final notes---we did'nt use gasket sealer with the new head gasket and we have not re-torqued the head bolts. Hope this thread is not overly confusing. Thanks!


Not quite as lean
Not quite as mean, but
Still a Marine!