Like I said, Matt that's a bit out of my range so I’m not gonna call for a quote but that's about where I figured the OD unit would run. Not trying to be a smart [censored] but ya gotta admit that’s a bit much for the average Joe. Your application is in a '62 with an open drive shaft, that makes for a lot easier installation, all that’s required is to cut the drive shaft down. With a closed driveline like the 1/2 and 3/4 ton AD’s it becomes a bunch more complicated. Add the ball setup to the back of the OD and I’ll bet it bumps it up over the 4k hurdle. And for the average guy who isn’t lucky enough to have a machine shop at his disposal modifying the driveline has to be up around the thousand dollar mark at least.
Luckily there are gears available for the 1/2 ton fans but us 3600 and above guys are stuck with out any other option than the OD or changing the complete rear axle.
When your talking about this kind of money one would think that one of the gear grinders would wake up and make a batch of 3.xxx gear sets to fit the 3/4 ton AD trucks. I’ve tried contacting all of them and they won’t even return the emails. There must be literally thousands of 3/4 ton owners out here that would be more than willing to pay $600 or $800 for a three something gear set. At least we could run at a comfortable 55mph and quit holding up traffic on the secondary roads.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL