Howdy,
I recently purchased a '54 3600 with original 7 X 15 tires.
In the interest of speed and ease I want to buy some plain steel wheels and taller tires. My questions is what is the max combination that will fit and work well? The service manual lists 7X17 as an option. I'm thinking Sears or some other tire center as a wheel and tire source. Does anyone out there have some advice for me? Store, wheels, tires etc. I hope to keep this as cheap as possible for now. I'll use the original wheels when I resore the truck but for now I want a good summer driver. Somebody out there must have had the same motivation.
A second question for a later project.. does anyone have specifics on changing the gearing on a 3600 without retrofitting an entire new rear end. Does anybody make a replacement/better ratio gear set?