Started the 235 today. Put fresh gas in the tank, connected the battery, cranked it over (5 seconds of cranking with 30 second rest) with no plugs until gas appeared in the fuel filter. Suddenly gas started pouring out the pump. Oh no, I guess I need a new pump; tighted the two screws on the top of the pump - tried it again and pump not leaking. Accelerator pump now pumping fuel. Now there's no spark - checked point gap - slightly wide - should still work - adjusted to 016 anyway. Connected plug wire directly to coil and opend and closed points manually - now there's a spark! Put the cap back on installed the plugs and wires and she fired right up. Oil pressure good, battery charging. Adjusted timing. Running like a switch watch temperature came up and stopped between the E and M on the gauge. Now running for 20+ minutes. Suddenly gas pours out of carb between body and horn. I shut the engine off, tighten the horn/body screws and start it up again. It's pushing black smoke, running rich; I can turn the mixture screw right in without stalling (reduced the smoke though). What went wrong? Float stuck?


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed