| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,477 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 46 | My son decided he wants to take the old 39 Chevy truck to Prom, but the transmission growls like a rabid dog. It started leaking too. I have no experience with transmissions. It sounds like some sort of bearing problem. I added some transmission lubricant, but that only lead to a bigger puddle under the truck. How hard is it to rebuild a stock three speed transmission? I assume there are special tools required. I’m thinking if I have to rebuild or replace the transmission I should explore all options. Would a 4 speed give me a higher gear for the highway? If I replace the 3 speed with a 4 speed which one will bolt in without many modifications? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott | | |
| |
| |