It looks like it's a 54 valve cover then. I'm not surprised. Do you know if there was any screen inside the valve cover or anything. I mean this truck didn't have the optional oil filter, so I'm sure there is plenty of dirt in it. Don't know why I'm worried about dirt getting in through the slots.
Seems odd that there isn't anything coming out the road draft tube. I thought that, even without the truck moving to create a small vacuum at the end of the tube there would still be something coming out.
I'll keep an eye on the radiator level.
The smoke lingers for a while, but does look awfully white. It seems to smoke a little less every time we run it, but we've probably only put half an hour on the engine since we've had it. I just can't see running it very much until I can get it to idle at less than 2000 RPMs.