Got the engine to run for more than a minute yesterday, and odd things happened.
Yesterday, the oil filler cap was bouncing like a tea pot lid and I had oil smoke coming out of these vents on the valve cover.
Valve Cover Vent? There are two of these on each side of the valve cover, evenly spaced. Now my 4400 also has a 1953 235 in it, and the valve cover does not have these vents.
Second sign, No smoke from the road draft tube. (Clogged up?)
Third sign:
Smoke Signal I assume this means that I either need rings, or valve seals.
Basically, what's up with those valve cover vents? The oil filler cap is late model, not the kind you might expect on a 1964 Chevelle 230, for instance.
???
Now that I think about it, there may be some water in that smoke, but it sure smells like oil.