The 235 was used up to '62. After doing some additional research, I believe that this is correct with the one exception, the 235 was used in some early 1963 trucks including the 4X4. IS THIS CORRECT?
The 265 was used '55-'57 in cars and light trucks, with the '56/'57 version having the provision for a filter. Heavy trucks used the 283, which was also optional on cars. It is my recollection that Chevrolet introduced the 283 in 1957 for both the cars and the trucks. IS THIS CORRECT?
Some larger trucks, mainly school buses, '56-'59 used the 322 Buick Nailhead engine. I know that in my searches I find the 348 listed in the big trucks, not the Buick nailhead. I need more information to confirm this please. PLEASE HELP CONFIRM THIS DATA
The 261 was found mainly in 2 ton and larger, '54-'62, also was found in some '61/62 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, but that is rare. I concur with this information. IS THIS CORRECT?
Onthe GMC side, the 6's would be the 248 and the 270, the 302 was more of a heavy truck engine. I concur with this information. IS THIS CORRECT?
The Pontiacs were 287 ('55) 316 (56-57), and 336 (58-59). Some GMC trucks also used the Oldsmobile 364, in similar applications that used the 322 in the Chevy line. This is where the conflicts in information appear. I need more information on these engines. Will the oldgmctruck guys who are lurking comment on this? I am trying to establish accurate information and I want to prove this to be correct information If not we need to correct it. OLD GMC TRUCK GUYS NEEDED!
After '60, GMCs used mainly their own V6 line, which were the 305 and 351 in lighter trucks, and a 478 inlarger trucks. There was also a 635 cid V8 and a 702 cid V12 based on the same block used in heavy trucks. I concur on the 305, 351 and 702 engines. I had not heard of a 635 V8 before. IS THIS CORRECT?
.
Hydraulic lifters were introduced with the V8s in '55, although the inline 6s used solid lifters up to the introduction of the '63 inline engines. I concur with this information too. My recollection was that all truck six cylinder engines were solid lifters. IS THIS CORRECT?