Bill,
Very helpful info for a guy who ain't a wrench, but loves old iron. When I say one-ton suspension, that's my mechanic's description. If I recall correctly -- truck's down at my mom's in Georgia, I'm in N.C. -- it has both leaf and coil. Which may make swapping more difficult, but I may be dead wrong on that point. We're at the point where we either find out whether we can change out gearsets or have to swap in a 1/2 ton rear, with the accompanying swap out of front spindles and balljoints. Two questions here -- will the 1/2 ton rear stand up to load and is there aftermarket gearsets available for same? As to your final question -- since posting the original note, I've done a little surfing and found mention of the Spicer/Dana style diff. I take it the Eaton has fewer aftermarket options? And given my mechanic's pessimism -- and the fact I bought a rig that, typical for me, isn't vanilla simple -- I'd bet on the Eaton.
But you've given me great questions to ask my man down South. And a much firmer understanding of what I'm dealing with and what he's talking about. May be a situation where I have to ease her up the two-lane backroads to Raleigh and get a mechanic here to work with. Friend of mine had her father's 49 Ford restored by a guy who does excellent work, so I'm considering a move to Plan B.
Thanks again,
Jim