I could use some help. I bought an axle with the 5 lug disc brake conversion that was set up for power steering. I'll be running the 250 cu.in. six for a while and am not ready to go with power steering. So I went to swap the steering arm from the old axle and ran in to my first question:

1) bolts that hold the steering arm to the hub are supposed to be 7/16 but the hole through the caliper mount is only 3/8. Has anyone else had to drill out the hole in the caliper bracket to fit the proper bolt? Did you have trouble finding a shim the right size to keep everything aligned? Or, is the grade 8 bolt at 3/8 that I found in there gonna work?

I left the driver side hub disassembled and figured I could bolt a wheel up to the other side to check fit. The 7 inch wide wheel is within 3/16 inch of the steering cross link and I'm afraid the tire might actually rub when it is on the ground. So, question 2:

2) Do you need to space the steering link out from the hub to gain clearance for wheels and tires?

Let me know if pictures are needed. Any help would be much appreciated.