Phase II
These light switches are taking on the feel of a Chinese puzzle, like, I figured out one more piece of it. Got a cadaver that was sent to me by one of our members after he replaced it with a new one. Besides the dimmer rheostat coil being broken it was jammed up and you could not pull the knob to the on position. Once I got inside I found that the bottom slot of the contact sliding block that contains the detent was broken away. This had the detent wedged side ways and prevented the block from sliding.
The only solution was to replace the Bakelite sliding block. Since I have been unsuccessful this winter at acquiring cores I had no spare parts to replace it with. The only solution was to machine a new block. So for those diehard restorers amongst you I put up a few pics of the new parts in this phase. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2056581810098611668LghfZE

The one last part that I just can’t get around is the bimetal thermal cut out. I can’t find that material to make that part anywhere and I’ve been looking all winter for a source. If anyone knows a supplier/manufacturer of bimetal thermal material in this country please let me know.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 03/30/2008 12:52 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL