I know that Chevy didn't put seatbelts in the trucks until '57. And I haven't been stopped yet to check my '54 truck for driver belts. I have a 4 point racing harness in my truck. Y-shoulder belt, lap belt, and anti-sub. Haven't needed the shoulder as of yet, but it's there if I want to use it.
Dave
Dave, do you have a roll bar installed in the truck? From everything I've seen on those (did alot of research, was going to use those myself), you have to have at least a rear hoop with a cross bar for the upper belt to loop around in order for it work properly. Otherwise, the upper belts will not work with any effectiveness. I'm not sure how it would appl to a pre-seatbelt requirement vehicle, but those are also not DOT approved for street use. That may not apply on a vehicle built before they were required, though.