Some good ideas here. The stock 292 came with 8.0:1. You can do as I have done and put in propane 9.0:1 pistons. I should have had the block decked some but didn't think it needed it. It wasn't that much more for them over stock ones. My engine isn't broke in yet so the mileage is anybodies guess. The timing is still retarded and the valves are loose and will have to be re-adjusted. Headers are next and a 500 cfm is a big as I am going. Don't need a 600 or larger toilet. I put in a Pertronix Ignitor and what a difference with my MSD. Works great! Oh BTW, the 77 will be an integral manifold type. They are not a good idea. You cannot change them to the older style. The integrals ran crappy. Limited on what you can do with them. 74 or older is what you want unless you are going to a 292. Stock cam with headwork will do just fine and make it breathe better. Helps out all the way around. I'm glad I had mine done! Balancing is a must. Makes them run real smooth and last longer especially the 292. Fuel injectioin is nice but Pricey and a lot of work. Won't get better mpgs than a good tuned carb will. A little better performance maybe. Not worth the big bucks to me. My Dad got just over 20 with his 292 3 speed at 55 when it was the speed limit, with no OD but hwy gears of some type. Unless your are going to do heavy hauling, I would go with a modest refined 250. It will work well for you. Love that purrr out the exhaust of the inline. H.