First off, let me say howdy to all! I'm a newbie on this forum and want to say thanks to everyone responsible for creating it!
Here's a little bio just to let you know where I'm coming from; I'm 46, happily married father of 2 teenagers and am a licensed mechanical engineer. After 20 years of being away from the hobby (my last build was a 67 Barracuda street rod), I've finally come back to it and am in the midst of building a 55 Chevy shortbox stepside 3100. I'm building it for/with my 15-year old son as a way to teach him how to spin a wrench, show him what makes cars tick, give him something cool to drive during his high school years, and to spend more quality time with him. My daughter pitches in too, she's a real trooper. Anyway, we're building it as a resto-rod and we've completed the chassis this past year. it is sporting the stock frame, upgraded with a TCI Mustang II front suspension, 2" dropped spindles, power steering, big disk brakes, under-cab master cylinger/power booster with remote fill reservoirs. The rear suspension is a new TCI dropped leaf kit holding an S10 Xtreme rear axle with big disk brakes. The wheels are Vintique OEM steel rims with chrome moonies; 15x7 up front and 15x10's out back. I'll be tubbing the bed for sure! The motor is a new crate SBC (350 ci) with mild upgrades to keep it streetable, the trans is the original 3-speed manual converted to a floor-shift. The e-brake is also on the floor now. We've test-driven the truck to sort out the new suspension and so far I'm thrilled with the results. It sits very low to the ground and handles like a go-cart, and the 2.73 gears in the rear allow the truck to cruise nicely at highway speeds. So now it's onto the bodywork, and my question;
We've taken the sheetmetal off the frame and am prepping the cab for removal. The windshield and gasketing is new, put on by the PO, so I want to re-use it. How do I remove the windshield without breaking it? My local glass shop guy says it's unlikely that I'll be able to accomplish this. He wasn't confident that he could do it. But I say; if there is a will, there's a way. Can anyone give me some tips?
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the longish post.
Anthony
In New York