Woody,
First let me say I am a die hard keep it original type person. I also restore antique starters and generators and up grade them etc. Cost is a big factor for a lot of folks on something like this. You can take a 10si Delco alternator with a special low rpm cut in self exciting regulator and get the benefit of cut in at low rpms and upwards of 70 amps if its built correctly. With that you can then add on about whatever electricals you want.
Now, if you want to stay origial, there is nothing wrong with the original charging system with external regulator if it is built/restored correctly along with a new regulator at the same time. I have had original generators come in the shop that have well over 50 years on them, never been touched and still working. Cant say the same for any alternator. Yes, it will cost more to restore the gen. and install new reg. but they are for the most part just a trouble free as the alternator when built like they are supposed to be built. By this I mean not just patched up but professionally restored.
It is also possible to take a stock 30 amp generator and internally match up a new armature and coils and get upwards of 45-55 amps out of the generator. Of course you then have to upgrade the regulator as well for the higher amperage output.
Just my 2 cents worth, but I still like the looks of a restored gen. under the hood.
Ken