I don't mean to be an annoyance about this. As some of you know I have an 87 Full size 4X4 pick up with a 700R4 trans and 3.73 gears. Anyhow I pulled the 350 out that ran perfect, got 14 hwy and sold it to a real good friend to replace his 454 hog that gets 8-9 mpg with a 5 speed. Thats really bad! He should get 16-17 with mine. I put in a 250 built quite well but it is way over cammed which the shop put in. Not me! Sucked a lot of gas and low power due to the big cam. So I have the new stock cam for it. I sold this one to my friends son for what I have in it. So no loss there. He is doing a conversion and needed this size engine. I need to have this truck as my daily driver. What would work well enough in this rig without having to drag a gas station behind me yet not be too slow either. I have owned only one 292 and it ran excellent but had low gears. I had all the others. With hwy gears and some decking and milling would it be worth putting in and still get maybe 18 hwy with OD? Some 292s seem to do well with tall gears but forget it on low gears. Just like a 350 then. My other friend is a retired GM mechanic and told me today to go with an Olds 307 not Chevy 307 for a balance of power and mpgs. The Olds 307 run well and bolts up to the tranny. The 307 Chevy was pretty thirsty in the one I rode in. What would you folks in Stovebolt land put it if this was yours. Its in super nice condition. I'm the second owner. My sweet wife wants me to make up my mind asap so she can drive it too. I love the inlines and their unique sound. I'm confused. 305, 327, another 350 set up differently? It used to be a TBI set up now its carb. Any of you own a 292? How does it work for you? Should I have stayed with the 250 but with a stock cam and maybe some headers and two single bbl carbs. I sold the 4 bbl manifold I had with the engine. Please help me on this. Thanks.
Last edited by Henry G; 11/08/2007 7:25 PM.