Originally Posted by Grigg
I believe the "DH478" is a Toro Flow, based on the GMC V6 gas engines.

Don't worry about total cubic inches for Detroits, that's not how they are refered to. For eaxmple, a 6V53 is indede 318 cubic inches, one version of an 8V71 was 318 HP, see the confusion? Just stick to 6V53, 8V71, 6-71, and so on.
Another reason, with your total cubic inch logic how do you tell the difference between an inline and a V6 71 series?

Grigg

6V-71 is a V-6 with 71 cid per cylinder 426 cid V-6 .

6-71 is an INLINE 6 with 71cid per cylinder 426cid I-6.

8V-71 = 568cid V-8 .

12v-71 = 852cid V-12.

the bigest is the V16-149 = 2384cid V-16 .

this is how it was taught to me any how. . .

Cummins: had many engine's there many used the 855cid I-6,1150cid I-6 and the not so great 903-V8 785CID . . .

The 855cid I-6 factory setting's ranged from 240hp - 400hp.

The 1150cid I-6 factory settings ranged form 450hp-600hp.

The 785cid V-8 factory settings ranged form 300hp-500hp.

the 903 was prone to fail thats why i'm replacing my 903 with a KT at the first sign of trouble. . .

"V-" is the V-6 V-8 V12 V-16 ECT. . .
"-" in the Inline 2 3 4 6 ect. . .

Mike


1962 GMC K3000, GMC-379 V6.