My last post on this sorta got lost in The Big Shuffle, and I don't think I had a very catchy subject line anyway. But I really wanted to show off my latest acquisition for Epic #2, my big strong girl. Click on this:
[IMG]http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/69/69/8/65/29/2891865290096215731WiLxVg_th.jpg[/IMG]I paid the guy $200 for this camper. This is not the good side, and there is no rot, and so far, everything I've tried to get going has worked very nicely indeed, except for the fridge, which for some reason doesn't work from shore power, but works very well on Propane. And I'll be replacing the roof vents, because they're all showing UV damage, and I don't want it to leak. Not such a bad deal, I think. On the 10-odd mile drive home the truck handled very well indeed; better than a loaded cement mixer, which was my lower target for acceptability. I don't think I'll need an anti-sway bar, is what I'm saying. Before I drive it too much I'll have to plumb in some 6V taillights, since you can just barely see the truck's lights peeking out from beneath the unit. I thought of converting the existing lights, but then I'll be fooling with the whole 12V system in the camper. Can this be another reason for converting my truck to 12V? Answer: NO. I have a spare generator, and I'll be okay with the original system for the forseeable future. It works, you see. Well enough even for today's traffic. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, says I.
So I'll be acquiring a little genset and a deep-cycle auxiliary battery and they, along with the spare fuel cans and tools, will all reside in the 7" of free deck space forward of the camper. Then I'll fair that area in to the cab to make it look cool, and to lower the drag coefficient at subsonic speeds, thereby marginally enhancing fuel economy. That's my plan.
Comments/suggestions are welcomed, so long as they are not off-colour(whatever that means).