Your problem is just like mine. I have just assembled my re built Block and head. I have set the valve timing, the Ignition timing, insured the distributor is installed corectly, static timed points, replaced the coil, points, condenser, cap, and wires. I get a blue flame at the plug. The gas tank has been cleaned and the plugs look wet after trying to start it up. The carb appears to work judging from the fuel pumped using the accelerator pump. I have spun the engine and moved the distributor trying to get it to start and have gotten nowhere. I have also done a compression check, (125 across the board), and felt the suck of the engine through the carb as I cranked the engine. I have used the gas in the carb trick too.
I am pretty much out of ideas right now.
Does anyone think the 25 degree Wisconsin weather has an affect?