There is one other way to remove the axle without a slide hammer. I have used it many times and have always had success.
With all the bolts removed and are ready to remove the axle, get a 1/2" log chain about 15 or 20 ft. long, fasten one end of the chain to one of the wheel bolts, pull the chain out straight to the side, give it about 1 or 2 ft. slack, now snap the chain by raising the end you are holding up and coming down quickly. This will create very hard jerk in the axle. I have actually slid the vehicle side ways using this method so be sure to have vehicle mounted solid. I like to have the other sides wheel on the vehicle and sitting on the floor.
I realize you have the axle out but this is for other people who are having this kind of problems. By the way while you have the axles out, now is a good time to replace the seals holding the diff. lube from coming out and ruining the brake shoes.


kdot em3