54gmc, have you checked out this site? Old GMC Trucks Lots of info there, including how to decode your ID plate. I bought a shop manual for my GMC about 4 years ago and it has paid for itself many times over. It is a reprint of the factory shop manual, although they called it a "maintenance manual". I think this was done to differentiate it from an "assembly manual". There are more than a few places that have them available, in fact you can go to the links page on this site and find them. Or you can go to The Filling Station , that's where I ordered mine. There is just so many little things you don't think of, then when you do, you can consult your manual. These manuals were written in the days when people used good english; much better than a chilton's manual, which is written in 6th grade english eek . Feel free to email me if you have more questions, otherwise good luck with your project! grin


*** GMC ***