I've put 350 miles on Viejo (my '41) and am quite pleased with the ride so far. I do have a punch list of mechanicals and bodywork that will be attended to in due time.

After installing a new internally resisted coil, new points and condenser the engine starts and runs fine. The main mechanical issue pertains to some clutch noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. I appears that there is something going on with the pressure plate fingers rubbing when pressure is applied. This will necessitate moving the tranny back and removing the clutch assembly. In addition I really need to renew the leaf spring and shock pins and bushings. I picked up the parts at Jim Carter's while at the Kansas City Nationals.

Monday a week from now Viejo will be headed back to the bodyshop for some cosmetic and refit work. I know this is a bit backwards but it's how the deal was structured. The most problematic issue will more than likely be the driver's side door fitting and the driver's side rear fender reworking.

The whole truck will be wet-sanded and buffed to remove some of the remaining imperfections in the paint job. Also, most of the interior including the dash, door inside skins, and cab back will be removed and once more repainted with the brown hammertone paint from JC. The interior paint work was done by three different painters over a period of 6 months or so. The new ABS headliner will be installed also.

I'm hoping to have everything done in time to join our small city's 50th anniversary parade on November 3rd.

Here's a photo of Viejo posing at a restored filling station. Unfortunately the old filling station is now an art shop.

Don


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.