I have been running the combination that Bill is talking about for almost 15 years, and think it is great. My 4x4 stuff under my 55 Cameo came from a 76 Blazer, and the only changes I made were to install a part time kit in the NP 203 transfer case and part time hubs. I adjusted the spring pads to the same dimensions as the 55 running gear in an effort to keep changes to the stock frame to a minimum. I am running the 8" 6 bolt Ralley wheels, and they do stick out a bit, but clearance is no problem because the rear end is raised 4" for clearance, and to match the amount the 4x4 front axle raised the front end. It is a good reliable combination and parts are not a problem. I am switching back to a stock 2WD setup because I no longer have a need for the 4WD. It worked well for me.
Bob