Originally posted by jkane:
Have any of you run into situations where a person is selling a truck without a title? How do you get it titled? I was told that you can buy titles from another state, in Hemmings, for $25.00.
I would appreciate your comments. I am hesitant to buy without one.
I'd ask the title people at your DMV. Here in SC, the process would be to go to the county magistrate's office and get a Bill of Sale from them for an abandoned vehicle. Going in with just a bill of sale from another owner gets you no where and you're treated like you stole the vehicle. The DMV will run a vehicle history check to see if it's been reported stolen, if not they will then proceed with issuing a new title in your name. But the process varies state-to-state, some will give you a title with a handwritten bill of sale.
One tip I've learned... no matter how wrong they are on the other side of the counter, treat them like they're 100% correct. The quicker they process the paperwork, the faster you get your title... and that's your ultimate goal.
Lee