dbone,
I am not sure if this is what you asked but this is my experience from yesterday. I needed to get the license plates (tag) for my VW. I live in Collin County, north of Dallas.
My 53 chevy 3100 has no title. I do have a receipt from the PO. At the Texas State license and title bureau I received a copy of the "Application for a Certified Copy of a Texas Certificate of Title for a Motor Vehicle."
I can either send this to Austin or go to an office of the "Texas Department of Transportation - Vehicle Titles and Registration Division" which is located in Carrollton, TX. If the vehicle is not reported as stolen I can receive a new title on the spot (if I go to Carrollton).
I also checked on using the year license plates that I picked up at swap meets. They gave me the form to use and told me to bring in the plates for a visual inspection. I would then need to send a form to Austin to make sure they are not in use. And if all is well I could use the plates.
I hope this makes sense and is useful. I will keep you posted on my progress.