Here is a great example of a Year of Manufacturer YOM plate on Lue's Blues Paddy wagon Keep Florida Green? Now, who would have thought that keeping Florida green was an issue back in 1951 when most everything was simply tossed out the window - beer cans, soda bottles, etc.

As you can see the plate is currently registered, denoted by the little sticker in the upper right corner. The Florida Statues state that the plate can stay with the vehicle even if it is sold.

In Florida the YOM plate must be sent to Tallahassee for authentication, i.e., they research the records to verify that the plate was indeed produced and registered by the State at one time. I suppose this is a fraud protection process as anyone could conceivably make any plate they wanted, especially if they were spending some easy time upstate at the plate manufacturing facility. You must also send in your title number and VIN where the State can verify that the plate is indeed going to be installed on "your" vehicle and that it is of the same YOM as the plate.

I'm just hoping that the poor touch-up done to the plate will pass roster. One of the more popular plate dealers here in Florida told me that he has never had a "restored" plate rejected.

My original Florida "personalized" plate 41-CHEVY was taken by someone else after I let it lapse over ten years ago. Although I really liked that plate it's doubtful that I'll ever get it back, so now I'm trying to get my county and YOM specific plate approved.

Although I don't yet know the outcome of the DMV's decision I feel pretty confident that they will honor the request. A few phone calls and pleas for some common sense, in addition to the $34.60 check, will hopefully help. My biggest problem so far was trying to locate the specific statutes pertaining to what would pass muster and what wouldn't. It seems strange to me that if a plate was indeed manufactured by the state and subsequently registered, that it would be rejected because it was later professionally restored, while a same plate would be approved including all of it's rust, dings, and faded paint.

I'll let you all know of the outcome whatever it may be.


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.