I was talking to the Old Man about the clicking that just won't go away in #4E, and he asked what seemed like a simple question: Are you sure the P.O. didn't install hydraulic lifters?

My first reaction was, "Of course not." Then I started to think about it and wasn't so sure. I've never had to tear into the engine, it's always run strong and I try not to fix what ain't broke. But it seemed odd that when I got the truck the lash was set to zero. :confused:

It seems to me that hydraulic lifters would require some fairly extensive customization to get enough oil to work correctly; given the butchered, half-assed repairs to the rest of the truck, I can't imagine the P.O. would spend money on such a modification.

So the question is: Is there a way to determine that I still have solid lifters without pulling apart the top end?


1955 First Series GMC 250 1-Ton Panel
In the Gallery
Mr. Hedgehog - Follow the build
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll laugh at you.