nobody has ever been able to find a report of the tank exploding or being the cause of a fire in a wreck
I'll disagree. A close friend owned a F**d pickup, about 1970 vintage that his hired hand drove. The hand's wife drove it to town, lost control and rolled it. The ensuing fire killed their little girl.
It happened when I was a teen, so I don't recall the exact mechanism. The initial crash could have been fatal, or the tank may have ruptured, or it may have been as simple as the gas cap coming off while the pickup was up on its side.
Bottom line to me, it all depends on useage. If the pickup is going to be low useage, low speed, low traffic, I think it would be fine. Problems are possible but rare.
If you are going to be driving daily, at freeway speeds, in heavy traffic, with a modern engine...I'd strongly consider moving the tank.