Okay, to start off, this truck was not rebuilt. We pulled it out of the barn last May & started it up after sitting for about 23 yrs.
It starts easily but takes a long time to warm up & after reading all the posts I could find, it doesn't seem good for the engine to be running mostly cold...decided it should have a thermostat.
Each time we put one on it over-heats. All the way to the h.
Started off with a 180 stat & 7lb radiator cap. Changed the cap to 4lbs-that's what it has now. Switched to a 160 stat. Overheated. Put a 1/8" hole in the side of it last Saturday(this one I put on myself

)(I've never done much except change oil). Ran it 20 mins at home, let it sit. Took it on the road a while later & overheated in less than 3 miles.
Tomorrow Alberto's bringing a Hi-Performance or something thermostat with a larger hole. The other idea is to put about 4 holes instead of just one around the side.
Our climate is pretty mild but I'm going to need to use my heater soon too....
Is there something major we're over-looking?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Sabrina