| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,468 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I based my brake conversion on parts from a vehicle that had about the same gross weight rating because I wanted to be sure my brakes would not be undersize.
For the front disks I used the kit Chevy Duty offers that uses 70's mid-size GM parts. I had a '73 Chevelle wagon I was pulling parts off of. I now have 11" front disks and 11" finned rear drums (complete rear axle) from the wagon.
It stops great. I once towed a loaded trailer with this truck, and the brakes are not up to that, but frankly neither are the brakes on my 70's 1/2-ton pickup if I don't use the brake controller (don't have one on my old GMC).
I've talked with guys who built rather than bought the conversion stuff. Unless you are a machinist with the right tools, making the bearing adapters isn't going to be easy. And making the caliper brackets might require some trial and error.
I think my kit cost $150. I can't imagine you'll actually come out ahead making your own. By the time I converted to a dual master, and replumbed the entire brake system, replaced rotors and calipers and shoes, and dealt with all the little parts I couldn't list, I spend about $700 on the project. The kit wasn't a big part of the cost.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |
| |