An extra quart of oil has no added benefit?
Following that reasoning, I could, in theory, remove oil to the point of having just enough to keep the engine lubed and still be safe.
This is not about an insurance policy for a leaky engine, that should be rectified ASAP.
Given a certain amount of contaminants being introduced into a liquid, would it not be better to have a larger volume in which to disperse the contaminants?
Fewer parts per (choose your X value) of crud would tend to decrease the exposure of crud to any given engine surface, right?
A unit of heat exposed to Y amount of coolant should be able to be dissipated to a greater extent by exposure to Y+X amount of coolant.
I am not a thermo-dynamic engineer, I just think that every little bit helps.
Are all the seven + quart oil pans being sold by Mellings, Hamburger, and the deep automatic transmission pans, etc... merely snake oil?
Just my $.02
Any TDE's or Petroleum Engineers out there that would like to wade in?
Take care,
Mike