I'm hoping someone else has had to puzzle through this: My '38 Chevy 1/2-ton came to me with no wiper hardware at all - no motor, no anything. Just a keyed hole in the cab over the windshield. I found what was supposed to be the correct vacuum wiper motor, NOS, and it seems to fit, although I had to fabricate a standoff to mount it. This wiper motor has a shaft that passes through the hole, and requires a gasket, a chrome bezel and a nut to hold the whole thing together. The fabricated standoff spaces the motor away from the inside of the cab roof. The chrome bezel I purchased, and it fits the motor just fine. Then I purchased a repro wiper arm from The Flling Station - part number AF-345, supposed to be for this vehicle. Although it looks like it should work, it doesn't fit the motor. The wire that goes through the motor shaft is much smaller than the hole in the shaft, and the arm cover doesn't line up with the groove in the motor shaft. Carter and Bowtie Bits also sell a repro arm, and it looks just like the one I have. Carter's tech folks report no problems with this part. So I'm suspicious of the motor. My motor has a 1/4 non-splined shaft protruding 0.525" past a threaded sleeve. There's a hole, about 0.100" diameter, bored crosswise through the shaft, about 0.075" from the end. The shaft has a triangular shaped groove, starting about 0.275 from the end.
Can one of you experienced folks out there tell me if this is the right vacuum motor ? In case this helps, the motor has a speed knob and an on/off knob, both of which protrude through the cover plate into the cab. The Motor is a Trico. No model number or part number is evident, although there are a lot of patent numbers on it. The box it came in has a number: KSB 382-G. No idea if this is the original box.
Any hints ?
Thanks in advance !
Alex Meade
Lexington, KY