| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (NAPCOStormTrpr, 1955 1 Series, joe apple, klhansen, GRNHydra, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, Opelika Tom),
84
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 454 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 454 | I'm currently doing a frame-off resto and this weekend I got my wheels bare to the backing plates. I have my wheel cylinder rebuild kits and my brake spring kits ready to rebuild all of the brakes. After cleaning the backing plate, there appears to be just a little surface rust. I assume that the backing plate was not painted from the factory (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and that's why there is some rust.
I'd like to hear some opinions as to what I should do to the backing plates before rebuilding the brakes:
1) Do nothing, they lasted 50 years just fine. 2) Wire brush any loose rust and leave bare. 3) Wire brush any loose rust and paint with some high temp rattle can paint. 4) Other?
Thanks
Jeff Nelson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
| | |
| |
| |