Thanks, guys. I'll keep checking in.
I have a title with a VIN number, so I can title it. The exact VIN is just a curiosity I'd like to clear up.
We've got push button door handles and vent windows, and a bed with angled tops....all the signs point to 1953.
Hmmmmm....thanks for the idea on the bellhousing for the 292. I had pretty much decided the 292 would be as big a hassle as the V8, but now I may reconsider.
Your daughter wants a "look at me" Rod, not an old classic truck. Sell that one, buy one already done or more done.
I have to disagree. She loves the old stuff, and is certainly aware of the pitfalls, as we are finishing her brother's '74 Nova.
I don't condone big changes to rare examples, or pristine unrestored vehicles. But this one is pretty far gone to restore, and safety is a bigger concern than restoration.
To each his own, but I'd rather see old sheet metal with new running gear on the street, than a trailer queen that only goes to shows. Or even worse, sending a clapped out truck like ours to the recyclers.