The half-open half-torque driveline is how they did it. No one has changed it.

Half ton frames do vary a little. The rear cab mount was in the center in '47 and '48, maybe longer. Early ones are built for lever action shocks. I think that changed in '50, but any list of changes by year will mention that. '54-55 have a different kickup to allow a deeper bed and also have different bellhousing crossmember to take a different bellhousing.

GMC had a different front crossmember to mount the longer GMC motors.

You sound like you want a stocker. That being the case I'd either go with a 1/2-ton '50 to '53 frame unless your bellhousing is the '54/55 type.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...