Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

About two years ago my father-in-law learned we were making a quick weekend trip 200 miles to Portland where most my family and my wife's family all live.

He said "I know you're not coming to see me, but I'd really like to see you and my daughter and grandchildren. Can you stop for a little?" I don't recall what I said, but we returned home with out taking the time to stop and see him.

The following Thursday I got a phone call at the office. I left immediately and rounded up the family and then raced that 200 miles at 80+.

We were about halfway when we learned he was gone.

I certainly didn't smile every time he called and asked me to help him with something. I've since wished I'd granted his wish that we stop and visit. What would that hour have hurt me?

I still don't smile every time my mother-in-law calls, or for that matter, every time my own parents have a request, but I'm much more aware that the times I'll see them are numbered and I need to take advantage of my opportunities to enjoy them.

Sorry for the downer response, but this being the second anniversary of the events they've been on my mind. The memorial service was two years ago this past week. We made the same trip for the same reason (my mom's birthday) last weekend.

This time we stopped at his house and spent some time with my mother-in-law.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...