Show us pictures of the rest of the truck so we can make better suggestions.
If the rest of the truck is beat up, leave it alone. If the rest of the truck is really nice, by all means bring the tailgate up to the standard of the rest of the truck.
The beat up nature of Ol' Roy in general means the tailgate is staying the way it is. Notice the square angle iron welded to the bottom to repair rust damage (presumably). On the plus side I paid $10 for that beat up 1950 license plate instead of $100+ for a nice one that I would have had to get if the truck were all frou frou.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)