Now for my 1957 Cameo story. I saw a pic of a Cameo in a car magazine, back in the 1970’s. I thought it was a cool truck and I started looking for one. I finally saw this Cameo, and I bugged the hell out of the guy for over 6 months to buy it. In November of 1978, he was hurting for Christmas money for his 6 kids. I bought it for $1,900, way above the going price. He was the 2nd owner, and I am the 3rd. He worked at a Chevrolet dealership in Utah. Two weeks after I bought my Cameo, I found out about the #2 vin number. The vin is 3A57L100002. It has a 235 6cyl, Hydramatic, NO OIL FILTER. I found out from an 80 year old Chevy Parts Manager, that oil filters were optional back then. The 2nd owner, Frank had the Western Sales Rep for General Motors chew him out for selling it. He tried to buy it back from me. That didn’t happen, but we remained friends. He has since passed away. The Cameo was my first classic, so I wanted to paint it. I showed my wife how to feather sand the cab, while I drove truck to California. I got back and the cab was completely bare metal. We painted it in a enclosed carport. Several years later, I was working a new car show/convention. I talked with this guy in a suit, thinking that he was with a local dealership. No, he was the Western Sales Rep for General Motors. I started to tell him that I had a 1955 Chevy Nomad (still have). He said it was a great car. I then told him that I had a 1957 Chevy Cameo, #2 off the line. I didn’t tell him anymore than that. He got extremely excited, and asked me if it still had a 235 6cyl, Hydramatic in it! It told him yes. He then stated with excitement, that he actually worked on my truck, on the assembly line in LA, and remembered it well. That blew me away. I was young and stupid back then and never got a card or his info. No cells or internet back then. It has been inside my garage since 1985, along with my Nomad.

Last edited by klhansen; 10/07/2026 12:39 AM. Reason: Moved to original thread & edited out extraneous stuff