That cage (for lack of a better term) that your arrow was pointing at was also loose on one of my latches. It holds the outer bearing for the latch cam (the part that grabs the striker) and is staked in place. I hit it with a tack weld when I rehabbed my latches. (Pic 1) I also built up the part of that piece that rides up on the striker. (Pic 2) I would definitely do that once you get the latch out. You'll be able to see how it's secured to the latch body. I built up the safety catch as well. Most of the work was on the driver's side latch as it got way more use, of course. I think there's a post with more pics of latch repair in my Project Journal.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.