I would think the casting/date code tells us what we need to know. a '55 date code would indicate a low water pump.... unless ... the casting code indicates it was cast in a '54 mold. If my '59 261 is any guide, the later crate engines made for the '54 and earlier trucks (i.e., "High water pump" engines) would have the '54 casting code but with the later date codes. Meaning that if both your casting and date codes indicate a '55 or newer 235 or 261, then you would have the low water pump.

I could be wrong about this, but I doubt it. I'm never wrong. A touch shy of being right sometimes, but never wrong.

smile


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)