Dan - First let me offer an apology if what I posted upset you in any way. It wasn't my intention and I hope what is provided below helps answer your questions.

FWIW - I believe that when Tom Langdon retired, he sold his business (at least the Inline 6 stuff) to Tom Lowe @ 12bolt.com which according to their website still lists small cap Chevy inline 6 HEI distributors for what looks like $260.

The site indicates they are currently out-of-stock for both the black and red cap units, but no explanation why. Also unknown is if what they are listing is a modified original GM distributor like Tom built, or if theirs is something else?

There are a few other companies on the web offering a similar HEI small cap distributor set up, like this one from Walton Fabrication listed for $270. Of note with this website is the copyright date hasn't been updated since 2024, so you'd have to contact them to confirm if they still offer it and if the price remains the same.

My reference to the "What's My Truck Worth" Tech Tip I think is valid, in that I just consider it a thought process on how to decide what your going to ask and eventually accept for the items. In my mind the thought process applies to both things big and small, but deciding on a specific part or component value is often much easier than a whole truck as there are so many fewer things to consider that affect the decision. Not that this makes deciding any easier of course. wink On "Parts don't generally vary that much do they?", I'd have to say yes, for the same types of reasons why whole trucks/engine/etc. prices vary. Condition, availability, desirability, like with NOS parts we often find offered, can greatly vary the value and price dependent on these factors.

In context, if a fellow Stovebolter were to consider your Langdon's NOS HEI unit, they'd probably have to give things like it's origination (Tom Langdon quality built products), NOS condition, the relative unavailability of the same item in today's market place and that it's likely that they may have an exceptional truck they're wanting the best they can get for the truck would be driving factors in what they might think it's worth.

Can you realistically sell it at $500, maybe but probably not (IMHO), but could you reasonably start your asking price at around $300-$350 and get it, possibly so (again IMHO).

You won't know until you put it out there for sale. headscratch

Once again, apologies if anything I've said gave you the idea I was downplaying your questions here. I hope we see you post ads in our Truck Parts For Sale forum. smile


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)