Ok, When I removed my 1950 3 speed clutch gear I had 14 short thick needle bearings & 24 thin needle bearings ALL come out of the Cluch Gear Inside where the Main shaft slides inside it. My Chevrolet truck shop manual 1948-1953 page 7-7 shows ONLY one set of needle bearings.
Today I take apart another (got one local the other day, unknown history)1950 3speed and in the Clutch Gear there has Only the short 14 needle bearings. The Later Schematic does show TWO sets of needle bearings. Looking at the inside (where needle bearings go) my original is more open & deeper compared to the one I just took apart? So does it depend on the Clutch Gear I use? I am assuming Different year Clutch gears but are the same size/Part ? Thank you for any input on this. Slight note the Shaft Splines on the one I just got is longer compared to my original but same teeth count. See picture. Todd