Owned by Bob & Hope Alspaugh
Evansville, Indiana


My wife and I had a 1937 Ford truck, old school street rod and decided to tone it down a little and get more of a cruiser. So we sold the '37 -- it was a sad day when the fellow from Mexico, Missouri and drove off with it on his trailer. He had a long 6+ hour drive ahead of him to get back home.

On the brighter side, we had been looking for another truck for a long time. I had spoken to countless fellows and went and checked a few out. Then I came across this 1949 5 window 3100 pickup down in Kentucky, just north of Bowling Green.

We were headed to Gatlinburg, Tennessee on vacation in a few days so we thought on the way back home, we would swing by and take a look at the '49, saving us a two hour trip back, to look the truck over.

We took the '49 out for a test drive. I gave it a once over and my wife and I liked it so much I contacted the fellow the next morning and cut a deal.

The '49 has much more room in the cab. We wanted AC and heat on our next truck as I think it was more needed than wanted as we have moved into retirement.

We picked this truck up in early November of 2019 and I decided to drive it back home to Evansville, IN while my wife followed. What a nice unforgettable drive back home on a sunny day with little to no traffic at times.

Since buying the '49 I have gutted the cab and installed leather power bucket seats, carpet, radio, and dome light. I had to pull the steering wheel as the turn signal switch needed replacing. All the inner & outer tie rods have been replaced along with the upper and lower ball joints. I took it in to have a new duel exhaust system installed with Magnaflow muffler with 2 1/2" pipes.

My wife and I pretty much have our '49 the way we like it so it's off to the Cruise-ins to enjoy the ride.

Link to 1949 Chevy Photo Album

==================
2001 5.3 Vortec LS Engine
350 Turbo Transmission
BIG 10 Rear End with 273 Gears
235/45R18 FUZION Touring Tires
18" RIDLER Wheels
Power Brakes & Steering
OLD AIR Products AC & Heat
Ash Wood Bed
Tinted Glass
Chevy PPG Paint (Bright Red)

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"


Veteran of the USAF
Attachments
2.jpg (28.18 KB, 15 downloads)
Interior
3.jpg (19.34 KB, 15 downloads)
Driver side view
4.jpg (24 KB, 15 downloads)
Bed and tailgate area
5.jpg (19.43 KB, 15 downloads)
Truck in primer.
6.jpg (17.55 KB, 15 downloads)
Front grille and apron
7.jpg (22.81 KB, 15 downloads)
1949 Chevy 3100 5-window
8.jpg (22.73 KB, 15 downloads)
Engine compartment

Last edited by Peggy M; 02/20/2026 8:41 PM.

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website