Most overheating of brakes (when not really using them) is cause by binding. if the rotors are purple hue. Then it has been binding. uneven brake pad wear is a caliper sign I would look at the calipers first. You said it stops at 1/4 turn on wheel spin. that may be a indicator if you really putting a good spin on them. IF it is a uneven heating one side is way cooler than the other. I would suggest a caliper is binding. If both are the same hot temp then you may have a fluid not returning well issue. Since you have to use the brakes to stop after a drive test. And since the fundamentals of brakes is that you are removing energy using heat. do this test.
Find a nice straight road section or even a emergency lane . Drive for a few miles without using any brakes. Then coast to a stop without using any brake. Then get out and check temp. I used a thermal scan on the rotors and caliper works really well. while wheel is off while its running have someone push hard on brakes then release. Make sure the caliper piston is releasing if its not its a sticking piston
I like sliding calipers on pins. easy check to see if its moving. Hot hubs could be a bad bearing and not the brakes. which is why i use the thermal scanner.