Sorry for the long story here, but you'll want all the data...
I recently acquired a 1946 Chevy Pickup Resto-mod, with a 350 Engine and front disc brakes. When I drive for any length of time, the front brakes get really really hot. I drove only about 10 miles the other day and the front wheel hub was 122 F. That is way hotter than I drink my coffee so it is way too hot.
This truck was built out about 20 years ago with some "not-so-professional" build quality. I have fixed a multitude of issues and am stuck with this brake problem/concern. They used the 1980 Pinto front end, which is the same as an early '74-'78 Mustang II. This truck has front disc, and rear drum but I suspect the rear drum brakes are not doing any work as I haven't opened them up yet, but they spin freely when up on jacks and have no overheating problem. Therefore, the focus is on the fronts.
When I first looked in the master cylinder (2 chambers, one for back, one for front), there was so much rusty color in the fluid that it freaked me out. And the front calipers were looking pretty gross. So, I replaced everything with new. New Master Cylinder, New Vacuum Booster, New Front Calipers, New Pads. And I bled the whole thing 3 times so I am confident there is all new fluid in the lines and no air.
When I drive 2 or 3 miles, the fronts are nice and cool. But, when I jack up the front, the wheels do not spin freely - about 1/4 turn when I spin them.
- There is no Proportioning Valve.
- The truck drives perfectly straight and stops perfectly straight.
- Pinto Brake Cylinders don't use the 2 slide pins like I am use to. It is a Wedge thing that you have to hammer in place. Seems like questionable way from a Mechanical Engineering perspective to allow the caliper to back off.

I am looking for you experienced people to provide suggestions.
- '46 trucks have a huge front wheel well. Could the engine heat be circulating in the wheel well heating up the fronts? Has anybody ever heard of putting small fans on the front wheels?
- Should I just swap out the fronts with a newer style calipers that use guide pins?
- should I re-do all the brake lines and route them along the side frames in stead of under the engine. Currently one line for the Fronts where there is a splitter under the engine. so both Left and Right have same travel distance.
- Any ideas?

Bluesky, not quite so Blue today

Last edited by Bluesky54; 11/12/2025 12:53 PM. Reason: signature