1965 Chevrolet C10 long bed step side pickup

starter intermittent

original wiring harness with various previous owner strangeness repaired over the years and at least two semi meltdowns I have repaired since I have owned it.



The issue:

Sometimes I hit the starter and it turns right over. Other times it goes to start, makes a slight sound and then, nothing.



Things I have checked or done.

replaced starter solenoid, but it was chattering... took the starter to an actual rebuild shop(didn't know any where still around, yay) and had them fix it/check it over.

I bought another ignition switch, switched over the lock, plugged it in, sometimes, same deal. So, maybe I have two wonky ignition switches, or it is something else.
Put the other switch back in.

Oh yes, I also wired up a momentary switch to the starter itself, so when this intermittent thing happens and it had no start, I hit the momentary switch and it turns right over. So, I don't think it is the starter itself.

I checked continuity from the plug on the back of the ignition switch, the purple wire to the firewall inside the cab. Then from the plug on the inside the engine compartment down to the starter(one of the newest parts of the wiring harness) and it is still good. Used a digital multi-meter to check continuity on the OHMs setting.

Could be some losing contact in the firewall plug maybe? Hmnn. No idea how to check that though.

So, I am leaning towards maybe a short on the side of the harness coming to the plug... or in the engine compartment coming to the firewall/fuse block.

Anyway, that is where I am now.

If anyone has any weird suggestion of things to check, try or troubleshoot, please let me know.

Thanks.

-Woogeroo