We have heard from a number of Bolters in the Kerrville TX area. I hope they have a chance to give some reports here.
Yes, be careful of scammers. I did a little research and found that the
Salvation Army Disaster Relief link says the donations are actually being covered by GoFundMe ... and GFM is charging a percentage, just like PayPal, VISA, etc. I ended up going around all that by just using webpay with our bank. It'll take a week to get to them but me thinks they'll be needing money for some time. :-(
So, I did a little more research using
Grok. My question was "How good is Salvation Army for disaster relief?" (You have to be specific with your question.)
The Salvation Army is widely recognized as a highly effective organization for disaster relief, with a strong track record of providing immediate and long-term support to communities affected by natural and man-made disasters. Their effectiveness stems from their extensive experience, established infrastructure, and community-focused approach. Below is an evaluation based on available information: ....
If you get
this Grok link to work, there is a lot of good things it lists ... in our personal opinion.
It does seems it is most effective, however you donate, if you have a person on the scene who can confirm the donation gets to the people in need.
Continue in your prayers .... it is a long haul.