$800 are you nuts?

If you have an electric dryer, chances are it is a 50 amp breaker. Or an electric stove should be high also.

When I am in a rush I make an extension cord from some heavy wire and just plug it into my dryer outlet. The ends are just about $10 each and you could even use cheap romex cable if you do not need flexibility.

You can go to a weling shop and get heavy locomotive wire for a dollor or 2 a foot. And if you are going 100 feet, you will need heavy wire. You will have a significant voltage loss accross that length of wire.

I am guessing the $800 is for somthing like 3 ought copper wire. If you are doing a hrad wire to a breaker, you can use aluminum wire. Its bulky but much cheaper.

I have used standard 30amp wire 10/3 as an extention of at least 50 feet. As long as you do not have it in a wall and you are only welding for a few minutes at a time with breaks, you can get away with that. If you weld for 30 minutes solid, the wire might heat up.

Using heavy wire will give you a more full duty cycle. But if you don't need it, you can do it for under $50.

Just keep saftey in mind as the primary issue when making the choice. Don't run a cord over a clothes pile in the laundry room and start a fire.


1949 Chevy Pickup, 1929 Model A, 1962 RollsRoyce

I like showing off my personal cars. You can see my toys at:
buzztrader.com