Thanks for that Ron. I just used the last of a tube of the 08509 material I got from 3M (bought it directly). The fellow I dealt with up there told me they dropped the 08509 because it just wasn't in demand any longer. Only old guys and a few younger ones messing with sealer like that.
But here's another idea for anyone who might be interested. It is called Big Stretch. It is made by Sashco, Inc (in the USA) and it is designed to set and remain stretchy forever...they claim it will stretch up to 5 times the installed size. And it does...basically it becomes rubber when cured. I've used the stuff as caulking and I've also mixed some mortar grit (to make it look like mortar) and used it for areas where brick mortar has cracked or separated and I don't want to re-point or such. Anyhow it comes in several colors including black and it cleans up with soap and water. It skins over in about 4 hours, cures in 1 to 2 weeks and you ought to protect from water and rain for 24 to 48 hours after using it. You can apply it in temps as low as 40 degrees or as hot as 120 degrees (although at 120 degrees I think I'd wait until it cooled a bit). Given that friends running body shops, etc have told me they don't like the CR Laurence stuff (for the reasons you mentioned...thin, stringy, runny, messy, etc). Since most people can wait a week or two to drive their truck, I'm thinking this might be an alternative for windshield sealing.