I was getting ready to rotatethe 283 in my 58 to find/verify TDC relative to the timing marks on the dampener when I discovered that the dampener bolt was previously sheared off about 2/3 of a thread below the surface.

I put it in gear and just pushed the truck to rotate the engine and determined that the stamped mark on the dampener is in the correct location, so it has not spun.

I am trying to decide how worried I should be about the bolt. It is (as far as I know) bone stock except the HEI distributor. The only accessories are the water pump and alternator. I put an electric fan on, so that is a little bit less load on the belt.

I don't really want to pull the engine to fix that right now since I am just getting it on the road for the first time.

In y'all's experience, what do you think the chances are of it walking itself off puttering around town?


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues